Foreign Language Tutoring
Bonjour! Salve! ¡Hola! שלום! Privet!
Studies show that learning multiple languages can actually help students become smarter by improving their ability to problem-solve in other areas like mathematics or language arts. In fact, students learning foreign languages tend to score better on standardized tests compared to their monolingual peers!
Our tutors at Academic Trainers are excited to share their language skills with you! We have highly skilled tutors with extensive backgrounds in Spanish, French, Portuguese and Latin.
Please contact us to sign up for sessions with any of the tutors below:
Caitlin earned her BA in Linguistics and Scandinavian Area Studies at University of Washington in Seattle. She earned her Masters in Linguistics at UC Davis and is currently working on her PhD. Caitlin loves anything to do with language, especially foreign language and grammar! Caitlin loves (almost) every movie ever made, and she loves to read.
Ask for Caitlin If...
- You need help in any Elementary School or Middle School subject
- You want to brush up on your grammar or spelling
- You're taking English (any level)
- You're taking a Literature class (any level)
- You're writing a paper
- You're taking French at any level
- You're taking beginning Latin, Spanish, or Mandarin
- You're taking math up through Algebra I
- You're taking any standardized test (ERB, STAR, ISEE, SSAT, HSPT, SAT, GRE)
Katie earned a BA in Communication and Theatre Arts from Marquette University and a Master of Social Work (MSW) from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Katie is passionate about language/foreign languages and has a background in Latin, Portuguese and Spanish. She also has a passion for writing and literature. Katie enjoys spending time outdoors and exploring the Bay Area with friends and family. Katie is also a folk musician, and she plays harp and piano.
Ask for Katie if...
- You are learning to read for the first time
- You are getting ready for Kindergarten or Elementary School
- You want to work on grammar, spelling, or writing mechanics
- You need help writing a paper or an assignment
- You are taking an English class at any level
- You are taking a Literature class at any level
- You need help with beginner's Spanish or Latin
- You need help with Portuguese at any level
- You are taking a Social Studies class (K-8)
- You are taking a Math class (K-8)
- You are taking the ISEE, SSAT or HSPT tests
- You are applying to a new school or a new grade
Vincent attended UCLA, where he earned a PhD in Spanish and Portuguese Literature with a strong focus on classical and medieval/Renaissance literature. He has taught at the university level for over 15 years, and he also worked as a high school English teacher while a Peace Corps volunteer in Morocco. In his spare time, he helps parent two awesome kids, reads a lot of old books, writes new ones, and stressed like crazy over the murky future of the Raiders and A’s.
Ask for Vincent if…
- You need help with Spanish or Portuguese in Elementary, Middle School or High School
- You are taking English or AP English Literature
- You are preparing for the ISEE, SSAT, or HSPT
- You are studying US History, World History, Geography, or cultural studies
- You need help in any Elementary or Middle School subject
- You are studying Latin or Arabic
- You are studying math through Algebra 2